Sausage Boots

I noticed about a month ago that Otis’s feathers on the inside of his hind legs looked as though they had been cut off.

Now it took me a while to work out when, how, and if he was knocking himself when working. I’ve deduced that it only really occurs when galloping and jumping, which is why it took me a long time to find the cause. I rarely jump or do fast work for two days in a row, so couldn’t definitely say he was moving incorrectly.

When you look at him move he is straight behind, but a bit base narrow. This combined with the action of galloping and putting his hind feet between the front feet, means he knocks his coronet bands. I think the problem is compounded by the fact he now wears hind shoes, which he has done for six months.

Temporarily I used over reach boots on his hind legs, and then I procured two fetlock boots to trial.

They’re funny looking things aren’t they! The rubber tubes can be quite large and bulky, but the ones I’m using are fairly discreet. I think they also look better when there are two boots, so the horse looks symmetrical.

Anyway, I’ve diligently used the sausage boots for a couple of weeks and been unsure about the effectiveness. There’s been no new marks on his hooves, but no improvement either.

Last week on a hack, one of the girls asked why Otis wore so many boots (brushing, sausage and overreach boots (these are because he’s due shoes)) and another girl cried “he knocks his hind feet cos you can see the boot spinning”.

I guess that means the boots are working!

I watched him working in the school today and the boots barely spun in trot, and I would assume you get a bit of movement because they are proud to the leg, so hopefully using the boots when I hack and jump will protect the feathers and his legs.

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

6 thoughts on “Sausage Boots

1. firnhyde Sep 4, 2014 / 4:45 pm

I’d love to see a photo of Otis modelling these boots – I’ve never seen them in the flesh before!

• therubbercurrycomb Sep 5, 2014 / 7:19 pm

Done! Otis found his haylage much more interesting I’m afraid 🙂

2. HF Mar 1, 2018 / 11:29 am

What brand are these sausage boots please?

• therubbercurrycomb Mar 1, 2018 / 5:00 pm

I can’t remember I’m afraid, these ones were quite thin rubber and had a long life, but once the straps were worn I couldn’t replace them, although the rubber still had plenty of life left in them. The latest ones were less rubbery and had a wider diameter so I could replace the leather straps with spur straps when they got worn.

• HF Mar 1, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. It was the thinness that was the attraction as i’ve only seen the big chunky type before.

• therubbercurrycomb Mar 1, 2018 / 8:01 pm

That was what I liked about them too. They’d have been a common middle of the road make, like Shires or something