Here We Go Again!

At the beginning of last week the UK had the corona virus tier system was adjusted, coming into effect at the weekend. This led to a long conversation about the Pony Club Christmas rally. Which was popular, and highly anticipated by many.

We decided to go ahead and I busied myself with finalising times, making the invariable last minute swaps, planning the games I’d do, trying to make them as prop-less as possible. Friday I went and bought a load of chocolates, apples, baby potatoes (for the egg and spoon race). Saturday we went for a walk and cut down some branches for the Decorate the Tree game. I was ready for the fun!

Then Saturday evening came the announcement that we would be moving up into a new Tier 4, and so Pony Club activities needed to be suspended. Oh, and Christmas is cancelled.

They’re first world problems, but the punched-in-the-gut feeling was demoralising and disheartening. We moped around on Saturday night. Earlier in the week when we’d discussed cancelling the rally I’d felt fine; secretly I’d have been relieved at the prospect of more time for last minute Christmas preparations, but I then remembered how disappointed the kids would be. I then threw myself into preparations. To then have all my preparations finished and it then be cancelled was disappointing to say the least.

We spent Sunday as a family, doing a few more last minute Christmas jobs, but then by the evening with the confirmation that I could continue to teach, I had to rejig my diary around the lack of childcare. However, with nowhere to go, there’s no hurry to finish work on Wednesday lunchtime! That’s all sorted now, we’ve perked up at the thought of Christmas at home – helped by the fact we managed to buy all the necessary foodstuff yesterday – but we’ll have to scratch our heads and think how to fill our week off with a toddler and less than attractive forecast. Perhaps we can get some DIY jobs done?

The first lockdown I took on some big projects around the house – clearing out and sorting out. But I’m so over rearranging the kitchen cupboards now!

Then I remembered I hadn’t shared with you my other lockdown project. Which was actually started at the end of the first lockdown, ticked over in the summer, and then picked up again for the second lockdown.

In 2019 a friend gave me a large wooden rocking horse on gliders. Thr stuff of childhood dreams. With a tufty mane, flaked paint, and battered saddle. It sat in my garage and then I decided to take on the challenge in June. Over the summer, with varying degrees of enthusiasm, I sanded off five layers of paint.

After debating on the colour of the horse, I ordered some non toxic, tough paint. Of course I ordered too much. I also ordered a new mane and tail for the horse. More on that later. And measured the horse up for new tack.

On my initial search for rocking horse restoration I found a company and immediately bought the mane and tail pieces. Unfortunately, I’m disappointed with the product as it is real hair attached to real hide (an experience in itself) but came in several short lengths of hide, with hair of varying length (I assume from a pulled tail). My horse, being a large size, needed the full length of hide, but unfortunately this means that the mane doesn’t lie smoothly along the horse’s neck, and is shorter than I’d have liked. I’m really pleased with how the tail has come out. Once the hide had dried and hardened, I combed the hair and trimmed it.

Later on, when looking for the tack, I came across another company, The Rocking Horse Shop, and I wish I’d found them sooner. I had clear instructions on how to measure the horse for a saddle and bridle, both of which are fully adjustable and removable. It was all made to measure, and I even had a phone call from their workshop to confirm my measurements and the tack fits perfectly. Their website was also very helpful about all sorts of restoration questions I had.

I’m fairly pleased with the result of this project. I tried to do a dappling effect over the face and neck, to make an iron grey horse. But this was beyond my artistic talents. I’m still not happy with the mane, although it looks better than when I first attached it, I’d still prefer one length of hide. I might look at doing something about that next year. Some one is happy with her rocking horse though so it’s a win in that department. Not sure it’s delaying an actual pony by very long though!